Monday, March 23, 2020

Beautiful Bountiful Beets


I have to admit I have a love/hate relationship with beets.
I want to really love them but I kinda just like them.
I hate them when I peel them after a nice bake in the oven 
and the dark purple shades of color end up on 
my fingers and everywhere else in the kitchen.
But once all the work is done, and I do mean work, 
then I really love them!



If you are smart you will pick out the golden colored beets or 
the slightly pink beautiful beets and plop those babies in your 
buggy instead of the dark purple ones.
I really do not taste the difference and my 
hands and towels are cleaner for it.




Wash them under cold water, pat dry and wrap each individually
in foil and place them on a metal pan and send them
to the oven for about an hour at 375 degrees.
Check for doneness with a fork and let them cool before
handling. Once they are cool then carefully 
peel off the skin and discard.
The fun part is slicing them and discovering 
the beautiful spirals of color inside.
What you do with them next is really your preference.
You can throw them into a salad, add them to a charcuterie board,
eat them right then or toss them in a beet salad pictured below.
However you decide to serve them up you will
surely not be disappointed.


Beet Salad

3 Beets baked, peeled and diced
2 chopped green onions
1/2 cup of mayo
1 Tbs of white wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Toss and cool covered in the refrigerator for one hour before serving.

No comments: