Sunday, March 18, 2018

The United Kingdom


Painting by Olivia Nucci

“This world in which we live needs beauty in order not to sink into despair. Beauty, like truth, brings joy to the human heart… unites generations and enables them to be one in admiration.” (Blessed Pope Paul VI)




Upon my return from the United Kingdom, I have so many memories and snapshots I could share with you for days on end. I would like to share my initial thoughts upon my return. This is my second trip to the UK. My first trip was over 21 years ago. If I am truly being honest I will say that my memory has faded since that first trip a bit. Mama is getting a wee bit older my friends!

I do have very fond memories of particular events, landmarks, fine dinners and time with Steve, my amazingly beautiful middle child, Isabella Louise and many friends we traveled with but one keen memory has always stood out among the others. I remember how fondly I felt about the people in Scotland. So much so that 20 years ago, Steve and I asked the CEO of  Tom James Company if we could move to Scotland and work there. The weather is quite rainy and a bit chilly most of the time but the people, oh the people are so warm, friendly and beautiful from the inside out. They all seem to have these permanant rosy cheeks and a twinkle in their eyes as if they have a secret they are keeping but are almost begging you to ask what it is because they are just dying to bring you into it! Their main love language seems to be acts of service as they want to take "proper" care of you, feed you, fill you up with a warm spot of tea and then bundle you up warm and tight before sending you on your way. It is so beautiful and reminds me of what our world really should look like. We should want to care for and take others in, even complete strangers. Our generations should be united and woven together like a quilt. An amazingly vibrant quilt with stitches of all different shapes and sizes weaving together the most beautiful fabric from each end of the earth and stitches added by every person you meet. A quilt in constant movement so beautiful that it mimicks that of a prima ballerina performing her very first solo. Can you imagine? Each person you encounter, even for one fleeting minute, is part of your quilt and you theirs. You place a stitch in their quilt and they place a stitch in yours. Maybe it is one stitch, maybe it is thousands of stitches. And then all of these life quilts link together to become one everchanging, everlasting magnificent quilt.

I am so thankful for the beautiful stitches that the lovely people of Scotland have sewn in my quilt this past week. I now carry their beauty with me forever.

Painting by Olivia Nucci


Isabella Louise




No comments: